1. Finally got some proper gardening tools! Not entirely sure what the difference between the different pointy bit shapes are, but they definitely made cutting my monstera much easier!
2. I’ve started trying to meditate more regularly in the morning. It’s tough going, but sometimes there are moments when things just feel weirdly calm and peaceful, so all in I’d say it’s good going too.
3. Unearthed my old yarn stash. Lost most of the labels on these, but working on my temperature blanket has me thinking about knitting a bit more again.
4. New old beach that was surprisingly peaceful in spite of the mad crowds.
5. Sometimes things just unexpectedly speak straight to things I’m puzzling over, I just have to be better at listening.
6. Got a tin of condensed milk recently out of a bout of weird nostalgic something or other. Also I’m sort of getting used to this weird construction backdrop now, odd as it may be.
7. I’ve been writing a lot more in the last few weeks, and it’s always a lovely meditative process when I get to refill and swap out my inks.
1. Making the most of my last few weeks of sunny empty days by spending as much time as possible writing on the beach. This has mostly resulted in weird ink stains and patchy tanlines, but I’m slowly unwinding my brain from the jumble it’s been in.
2. My Eve’s Needle cactus is thriving like it never has before this summer! Of all my plant babies, this one’s my oldest; she somehow survived years of neglect, just somehow quietly getting along in spite of my regularly forgetting to water or fertilize her. And then over the pandemic, I discovered my green thumb and started taking proper care of her, and suddenly she’s sprouting right up!
3. I did a short clay workshop a few months ago, and made this weird little feline creature, with her vague anime Bastet vibes. I’ve been taking her everywhere with me, my new totem!
4. This summer has been definitely been a good time for my plants, also wound up water propping my little peperomia… every time I go to water my little sprouts there’s always a new leaf or two, which is kinda amazing!
5. I took my first hand-thrown pottery class and made these two wobbly uneven little containers! Depending on how they survive being fired, I’ll probably turn them into more pots for my growing plant collection, ha.
6. Really been enjoying my newly discovered green thumb lately. Germinating a couple little basil seeds, and also slowly sprouting tiny roots on a couple arms of my Eve’s Needle cactus!
7. Quick dinner, miso soup with loads of wakame, grilled salmon, and some edamame.
1. Quiet heatwave day at the beach. Also I have developed a weird fondness for my watch + ring tan now.
2. Finally picked up a string of turtles! And in a lovely vintage brass pot to boot. Also got regifted a rosemary plant that someone gave my parents, which is now happily resettled into a fantastic handmade pot Chels gave me!
3. Took my beloved Minolta out for an airing for the first time since the pandemic kicked in. With bonus grumpy cat clay creation that I haven’t been able to stop fidgeting with.
4. Ikura success! It took a horrifying amount of time to unshuck this jarful of salmon roe from their egg sacs, but somehow they transformed into these lovely little intense orange gems.
5. Finally reunited with one of my besties after a year and a half apart and we had good tea, great chats, and I left with a handful of lemon mint cuttings that smell ridiculously fantastic and will hopefully sprout for me
1. These white rabbit candy ice cream bars! When I was growing up, my grandmother seemed to have an endless supply of these milky chewy candies that came wrapped up in edible rice paper. Came across the ice cream version of these in a local Chinese supermarket, so of course I had to get a few boxes, which is just as well as I can’t find them anywhere anymore…
1. These lovely double-walled India Mahdavi x Nespresso coffee cups, even if one morning in my sleep-deprived haze I somehow managed to pour half the cup into my lap. They feel fantastic to the touch, and have just the right amount of weight to feel super satisfying to handle
2. This beautiful view while I waited to get my second Covid-19 vaccine dose… I am now officially fully vaccinated! Less fun was the subsequent headache and fever and exhaustion, but… eh. Worth it.